April is here, and that means warmer weather, a few rainy days and Autism Awareness Month. The special needs community in Nebraska has over 80 events coming up in April for our kiddos to enjoy. Here is a brief listing of some of the major events. You can find the rest on our Event Calendar.
APRIL 2 – WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY
- Proclamation at the State Capital – Kick the day off with the official State of Nebraska Proclamation.
- Pump it Up Night – Celebrate the day right and join the ASN (Omaha) for their monthly night at Pump it Up at 72nd and Pacific before you head down for the bridge lighting.
- Light it Up Blue – Omaha – Nothing says World Autism Awareness Day like lighting up as many monuments in bright blue as possible. In Omaha, the ASN and AAP will be hosting a lighting at the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge.
- Light it Up Blue – Lincoln – If you’re still in the Lincoln area at night, stop back at the Capital and watch it light up blue with all your friends.
- Dancing Beyond Limits in Lincoln Begins – The great program to teach dancing to kids with disabilities gets started in Lincoln. Classes are still ongoing in Omaha. The Omaha Dancing Beyond Limits Recital is on April 29.
- Circles Level 1 Sessions Begin – Join the Ollie Webb Center for this interesting approach to adjusting behaviors with other people depending on their relationship with the kiddo. Classes continue on Wednesdays throughout April.
- UNO’s Got Talent – Watch some crazy acts in this talent show and help raise money for the ASN (Omaha).
- 2018 Capital City Blue Run – Head on down to Lincoln and enjoy a 5K in one of the best running cities in the nation in support of Autism Awareness Month.
- Young Athletes Exhibition – Join the Special Olympics of Nebraska for another fun event with different activities for kids of all ages.
- TOPSoccer BSC Begins – Let the Spring sports begin! First up is Soccer with the TOPSoccer league in Bellevue. There’s still a chance to register and get on a team if you haven’t already.
- Meet the Police with Autism Action Partnership – This is a great chance to visit an Omaha Police Department precinct, meet some great cops and learn more about what they do. Don’t forget to discuss school safety for our special needs kids!
- Steak Fry – Join the Omaha Professional Firefighter Associate for a yummy steak lunch or dinner and raise some money for MDA Omaha.
- “My Feral Heart” – Enjoy a special screening of this movie featuring an actor with Down Syndrome playing a character who experiences a “wild and life changing friendship.”
- Omaha Autism Puzzle Walk and Family Festival – The biggest event of the year for our kids with autism! Head on down to the Ralston Arena and enjoy all the games, booths, activities and a special 2-mile walk with all your friends. CLICK HERE to learn more about it.
- Aces for Autism Tennis Tournament – If you’re down in Lincoln, enjoy a nice spot of tennis and help raise money for the Autism Family Network.
- Kids on the Block – Cerebral Palsy – The folks from Why Arts? are back at the Omaha Children’s Museum and ready for another great performance to teach out kiddos about Cerebral Palsy. They will perform again on April 28.
- Miss Amazing Spaghetti Dinner – It’s time for one of the best annual events of the Miss Amazing organization! They’re got lots of fun activities and surprises planned, so sign up today!
- Hats off to ACN – Where would we be without the Autism Center of Nebraska? So many wonderful people, facilities and services available to help our kiddos! Stop by and help them celebrate another amazing year.
- Fierce, Fabulous and Flawless Fashion Show – The name says it all. Come join the Miss Amazing Nebraska organization and support our aspiring models!
- Teen Zone Night at Pump it Up – It’s time for the teenagers to show us how it’s done at Pump it Up along with the ASN (Omaha)!
- Nebraska Autism Spectrum Disorder Network State Conference – Hosted in LaVista, this looks to be an incredibly interesting conference with many excellent speakers and topics … so many, we can’t list them all here! Just go to our Events Calendar and check it out.
- Autism Night at Children’s Museum – The Autism Action Partnership is sponsoring a free visit to the Omaha Children’s Museum. Nuff said. See you there!
- Social Media 101 – Remember when this was postponed due to winter weather? Not this time. Be sure to join the Ollie Webb Center for this interesting discussion on the many uses, benefits and concerns of social media and our special needs kiddos.
- Heartland Paranormal Event – Head on down to Lincoln and meet some interesting people and then join them on a ghost hunt!
- Parents’ Night Out Dinner Cruise – It’s not easy being a special needs parent. All the more reason for adult nights out, and what could be better than a night out on the river in Spring? Jealous.
- AFN Fundraiser for Advocacy Partnership – One last shot to help raise money for the Autism Family Network in Lincoln with a fun spaghetti lunch!
- Sensory Friendly Haircuts – The Pediatric Therapy Center will be hosting barbers for our special needs kiddos. Also keep an eye on our Calendar for a chance to get a hair cut with Radical Minds.
Don’t forget all the weekly and monthly activities that are still going on including Bellevue Special Olympics, Special Musicians, Mom’s Night Out, DSES Education Night and more! CHECK IN WITH OUR EVENTS CALENDAR REGULARLY FOR NEW AND UPDATES ON EVENTS. We at the ASD Clubhouse work hard to make sure it is up-to-date and includes as much information as we can get our hands on.
Also, please subscribe with ASD Clubhouse to get e-mail alerts for new articles, events and other opportunities.
Have a wonderful April and light up your lives blue!